We are currently hiring for several positions on the farm for the 2021 season.
If you would like to apply:
- Please read position descriptions below
- Send us a resume, a letter of interest and 2 work related references
- Please identify which position(s) you are interested in
- We will schedule a farm tour and interview with qualified applicants.
Full time field crew positions
Experienced Field Crew Team position descriptions
Crimson & Clover Farm is a diverse mixed vegetable farm based at the Northampton Community Farm in Florence, MA. In 2021 we will produce vegetables on about 25 acres for 600 CSA members and our on site Farm Store. In addition to these 25 acres we will also be managing and improving an additional 35 acres that we are leasing. Our goal is to continue creating a bountiful, fun, and creative community based farm. We want our workers, our customers, and the community as a whole to see this farm as a place where they can come to share in the beauty and the good work of farming.
At Crimson & Clover Farm we offer a collaborative work environment that encourages input from employees in making our farm more productive, efficient, and fun. While this is not an apprenticeship or teaching position there is a lot of learning that happens on a daily basis and we are very open to sharing all of our knowledge of running a business and growing vegetables.
We are seeking 4 full time field crew members and 1 full time farm store manager for next season. We are also seeking 5 part time harvest workers. The field crew will be responsible for executing all of the work of the farm. These tasks include harvest, wash-up, planting, weeding, CSA distribution, managing farmers markets, and some tractor work. The whole farm team works together to ensure that all of the core work of the farm is accomplished.
In addition to the general team-oriented work each field crew member is given a dedicated realm of responsibility (see the specific position descriptions below). These offer the opportunity to take on real responsibility and ownership to some of the key elements of the farm.
For all of these positions we are looking for people who are positive, hard and fast workers, people who easily take on responsibilities and can work productively both in groups and individually. The ideal candidate has at least 1 full season of farming experience, or the equivalent. We offer a 5 day work-week; crew members are expected to work 40-45 hours/week during the main season and to be flexible at times when additional hours are needed. We strive to maintain a sane and balanced work schedule but there are times that we work a little later than usual or start a little earlier to get through certain projects.
While these are seasonal positions we do have regular part time fall and winter work and will give priority to applicants who have interest in working through December and returning for a second season.
The available positions begin in early April and runs through October 31st 2021. This is an hourly paid position. We start all employees at $14/hour (paid overtime). All of our employees also get lots of vegetables from the farm and discount from the farm store. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide housing at this time. There are lots of rental opportunities in the area.
Field Crew Member and Tractor Operator: Filled for 2021
In addition to assisting with harvest, planting, weeding and field related tasks….
Tractor Operator responsibilities include:
- coordinate tractor work with farm manager
- primary tillage and bed prep
- cultivation and flame weeding
- driving the transplanter
- coordinate care of our ‘fleet’ with farm manager (2010 Kubota 55hp, 1981 Kubota L245, 2 1940’s-ish Farmall Cub Tractors)
This is about a 25% field work and 75% tractor work position. There is more tractor work in the spring and early summer and slightly less in the late summer and fall.
Farm Store Manager: Filled for 2021
- This position involves coordinating the farm store, pick ups, deliveries, CSA distributions, and farm beautification.
Farm Stand and CSA Distribution Coordinator: Filled for 2021
- Setting up and staffing our CSA farm stand (shared with store assistant)
- Offering welcoming, friendly, and helpful customer service to our 300 local CSA members and local farm stand shoppers (shared with store assistant)
- Coordinating the packing of our walk in cooler
- Keeping the CSA/farm store clean, well stocked, organized, and well labeled
- Keeping inventory of what is left in the cooler at the end of the day and coordinating with Harvest Manager about what harvest needs the CSA/store has
- Picking up fruit, corn, and other items for the farm store
- Weeding the PYO gardens
- Mowing the lawn
- Assisting where needed around the farm
It is essential that this be a person who loves food, cooking, talking to customers, and presenting vegetables in a beautiful display. This is a diverse position that involves customer service, sales, logistics, packing produce, coordinating orders. This is very much a ‘foodie’ and ‘people person’ position! Also, must be able to lift 50 pounds regularly. All of our positions offer a 5 day work week. This position runs Monday-Friday, some Saturdays. Evenings are expected when closing the farm store.
Field Crew/Farm Store Assistant: Filled for 2021
This position involves assisting in the farm store, CSA distributions, and farm beautification as well as harvest, wash-up and field work.
The Farm Stand and CSA Distribution assistant shared responsibilities include:
- Setting up and staffing our CSA farm stand (shared with manager)
- Offering welcoming, friendly, and helpful customer service to our 300 local CSA members and local farm stand shoppers (shared with manager)
- Keeping the CSA/farm store clean, well stocked, organized, and well labeled (shared with manager)
- Work with the harvest manager to bring in and wash harvests
- Work with other field crew on weeding, planting, and assorted other projects.
This is a diverse position that allows for equal parts retail work and field work. All of our positions offer a 5 day work week. This position runs Monday-Friday with some Saturdays required. Evenings are expected when closing the farm store.
Harvest/Wash-Up Coordinator: Filled for 2021
In addition to planting, weeding and all field related tasks, the Harvest and Field Crew Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Coordinating the daily morning harvests with our part time 5 member harvest crew (starting at 7am)
- Coordinating (with Nate and Farm Store Manager) the washing and packing of all of our harvests.
- Upholding our food safety standards
- Coordinating the washing and packing of all CSA, Farm Store, market and wholesale vegetables
- Coordinating with Farm Store Manager the packing of cooler
- Coordinate the boxing of our Boston shares with other crew members
It is important for this to be a person who can manage others in the tasks of harvesting, washing and packing vegetables. This person must be a skilled, fast, and hard worker who can easily take on responsibility. All of our positions offer a 5 day work week. This position runs Monday-Friday.
In addition to assisting with harvest, planting, weeding and field related tasks, hoophouse responsibilities include:
- coordinate the seeding of hoophouse starts
- keep our vegetable starts watered and healthy
- irrigate, fertilizer, prune, spray our hoophouse tomato crop
- sanitize greenhouse trays
- coordinate transplanting of starts with crew and Nate
All of our positions offer a 5 day work week. This position runs Monday-Friday
These are dedicated harvest work positions. There may be times of jumping in with other field work but these positions help us bring in the bounty each morning. Starting in June we will be harvesting every morning from 7-12. This is a 5 hours a day every weekday position. Full time is also available which will involve jumping in with field work and weeding.
All of our positions offer a 5 day work week. This position is Monday through Friday.